- Tressie McMillan Cottom, “When Your Curriculum Has Been Tumblrized,” tressiemc.com, January 6, 2016.
- Derald Wing Sue, Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Difficult Dialogues on Race. Hoboken: Wiley, 2015.
- Tanya Golash-Boza, Race and Racisms: A Critical Approach. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Sally Haslanger. 24.236 Topics in Social Theory and Practice: Race and Racism, Fall 2014. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology: MIT OpenCourseWare), http://ocw.mit.edu (Accessed 28 Dec, 2015). License: Creative Commons BY-NC-SA
- Jane Halley, Amy Eshleman, and Ramya Vijaya, Seeing White: An Introduction to White Privilege and Race. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2011.
Critical race theory
Michelle Alexander. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. New York: The New Press, 2010.
Chandra L. Ford and Collins O. Airhihenbuwa, “Critical Race Theory, Race Equity, and Public Health: Toward Antiracism Praxis.” American Journal of Public Health. 2010; 100(Suppl 1): S30–S35.
Maurice Olander, Race and Erudition. Trans. Jane Marie Todd. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2009.
Edward Taylor, “A Primer on Critical Race Theory.” Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 19 (Spring 1998), 122-24.
- Charles Mills, The Racial Contract. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1997.
- W. E. B. Du Bois, The Souls of Black Folk. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1903.
Effective teaching in racially diverse classrooms
- Teaching in Racially Diverse Classrooms — a guide produced by the Derek Bok Center for Teaching at Harvard University
- Asao B. Inoue, Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies: Teaching and Assessing Writing for a Socially Just Future. Fort Collins, Colo.: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press, 2015.
- Linh Nguyen Littleford, Understanding and Expanding Multicultural Competence in Teaching: A Faculty Guide. Galveston, TX: Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology, 2005.
- Claude M. Steele, “Thin ice: Stereotype threat and black college students.” Atlantic Monthly, August 1999.
- bell hooks, Teaching to Transgress: Education and the Practice of Freedom. New York: Routledge, 1994.
- Beverley Tatum, “Talking about race, learning about racism: The Application of Racial Identity Development Theory in the Classroom.” Harvard Educational Review 62:1 (Spring 1992), 1-24.
Experiences of students and faculty of color
- How Minority Students’ Experiences Differ: What Research Reveals,” Chronicle of Higher Education, July 03, 2016. , “
- Conditionally Accepted, “an online space for scholars on the margins of academe.”
- Tressie McMillan Cottom, “The Discomfort Zone,” Slate, December 3, 2013.
- Eve Ewing, Syllabus: Racism and Educational Inequality in the Lives of African-American Youth (A111-M, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2015).
Working groups and initiatives
- National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
- The Futures Initiative: Advancing Equity and Innovation in Higher Education at CUNY Graduate Center
- Race and Pedagogy Initiative at the University of Puget Sound
- The Social Justice Pedagogy Working Group at UCLA
- Racial Justice Working Group at Loyola University Maryland
Last updated July 29, 2016.